S Y D N E Y S C H R O E N W I L L I A M S
s h e / h e r / h e r s
Hey there! My name is Sydney, founder & designer of Swayed Stature. I have been living and working in Brooklyn for the last couple of years since graduating in 2018 from Miami University with a B.A. in Interactive Media Design & Tech w/ minors in Fashion Design & Int'l Business. The concept for Swayed Stature began in college, but I have been sewing, designing, and creating for the majority of my life.
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START SWAYED STATURE?
- I have been sewing and designing for the majority of my life, in college when I began to receive more professional training not only from a design perspective, but also in business and branding, that helped me create the groundwork for the brand. My love of reworking a mix of vintage and new materials into modern wearable pieces is a center-point of Swayed Stature. It is driven by a devotion to sustainability, creative curiosity, and a desire to help create a more beautiful world.
WHAT ARE YOUR BRAND VALUES/BELIEFS?
- I want to add beauty to the world, and help others feel their most beautiful. At the root of anything I create, that is what I want to achieve.
- Being (as much as possible) environmentally sustainable is a huge part of my brand and has only continued to grow in priority this year especially. Even before the movement in recent years to support slow fashion and thrifting, I have always loved finding new uses for old stuff, and finding beauty in ugly or unconventional things. If I am not able to upcycle something I try to source sustainable fabric, saving scraps for future use, that sort of thing.
- Redefining the identity of old materials is one of the most satisfying things in the world. Lately I have primarily been designing corsets for streetwear from a blend of new and vintage materials.
WHAT IS YOUR BRANDS PROUDEST ACHIEVEMENT SO FAR?
- Its hard to think of one specific moment. Honestly every time someone reaches out to purchase a piece from me or to collaborate on a custom design, it brings so much joy. Each purchase allows me to continue to grow what I am building, and I am so thankful for that.The most rewarding feedback is to hear that people feel strong or beautiful wearing my work.